Minutes

Board Meeting - January 4, 2003

Place: Chris Bueker's home

Present:  Ed Edmondson, Jimmy Smith, Nancy McLean, Gale Oliphant, Emily Dunford, Brenda Searingen, Chris Bueker, Laurel Horton.
Absent:  David White, David Weston, Roger Burns, Leon Chapman.

While waiting for board members to arrive, Chris Bueker showed a video, called "Together in Time," which discussed the history and development of New England contra dance.

Following the video, Ed called the meeting to order and passed out copies of the agenda.  In Roger's absence, Laurel served as secretary.  Minutes of the last meeting, December 6, 2002, were approved.  Committee reports and discussion followed the order given in the agenda, as follows:

Finance--Committee scheduled a meeting on Saturday, January 5, before the dance to discuss the transfer of the checkbook from Chris to Nancy and arrange to add Nancy's and Ed's names to the checking account.

Moondance--David White had emailed his report.  The next Moondance meeting will be at David White's house, Friday, February 21, arrive around 6, pot luck 6:30, meeting about seven.  Announcements will be made at all RFL dances, emails, and flyers inviting people to attend if they want to be involved.  Ed and Chris will remind David White that he needs to phone Table Rock on Monday, January 6, to make reservations for 2004.

Band/caller booking--Committee needs to discuss payment policy at RFL and make a report and recommendation for board approval.

Facilities--Ed will update the RFL Opening/Closing sign-up sheet and re-circulate it to board members.  Dances are covered through at least April.  The list of responsibilities needs to be updated to include more detail, including locations of water and gas valves, switches, and tools.  Ed replaced the switch on the water pump.

Education/Outreach--Emily will continue to ask for input from dancers in her next email.  We discussed the "Together in Time" video.  Chris moved that HMFS purchase ten copies of the video (at $10 each) and allow dancers to check them out.  Motion was seconded and carried.  Education committee will develop an informal checkout system.

Publicity--Jimmy asked the board to approve his development of the Board's intranet site.  Motion was made, seconded, and carried.  Jimmy has purchased a tablecloth for the flyer table and asked if we would like one for the cashier table, and the board approved.  Jimmy suggested that we make more use of the logo designed by John Arrington.  He needs a way to make it larger, and Chris suggested that he contact Terry Pizzuto for assistance.  Chris will prepare a proposal for a tee-shirt design, featuring Bill West's (?) sketch of RFL, which would be used as a fundraiser for improvements to the Lodge.  He feels this should be done this spring.

Volunteer coordination--Committee has found that it works best for the board-member-in-charge (BMIC?) to recruit volunteers on-site for opening and closing activities, such as staffing the cashier table, sweeping the floor, setting up and clearing the food table, setting up sound, etc.  Volunteers will continue to be encouraged through announcements, email, and flyers.

Bylaws--Laurel asked board members to please look over the draft of the bylaws and send her comments, questions, and changes by February 17.  The Bylaws committee will then revise the bylaws for board approval later this spring, so that we can proceed with our application for nonprofit status, under 501(c)(3).  Laurel's proposal to hold a planning retreat was met with a lack of enthusiasm, and it was agreed that any planning will be done in segments during regularly scheduled board meetings.

Nominating--There was a brief discussion to clarify the rotation schedule for board member terms.  This is the responsibility of the nominating committee.  Chris and Laurel are leaving the board at the end of their one-year terms; however, the other two people (as yet unidentified) who are serving one-year terms will most likely be asked to re-up for three-year terms.

There being no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:10 pm.  The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, March 7, at the home of Gale Oliphant.  Directions will be provided.

Laurel Horton, acting secretary